Information Processing Theory

Description
In a two-part video, words were flashed on a screen that we related to football in both parts one and two. Then the video was paused and I wrote down as many words that I could remember. On the second part of the video, the words were flashed again then the word football was spelled down the page like an acronym. All of the words that were flashed began with one of the letters that spelled out football. When the video paused, I was able to remember all of the words since the acronym help me remember the words.
Analysis
Information processing theory is the theory based on the idea that humans process information they receive, rather than only responding to stimuli. Information processing theory is the theory of learning and memory. In the video, the memory strategy used is called an acronym or initial letter strategy. The initial letter strategy is a memory strategy that involves a reorganization of information in which initial letters of a list to be memorized are arranged in a more easily remembered word or phrase (Slavin, 2014, p. 145).
Most human learning, particularly school learning, involves making sense out of information, sorting it in our minds until it fits in a neat and orderly way, and using old information to help assimilate new learning (Slavin, 2014, p. 145). By showing the word football in an acronym, the information that I was to recall was presented to me in a clear organized way which made it easier for me to remember the information I was supposed to remember. One of the most important tasks is to make information meaningful to students by representing it and a clear organized way; by relating it to information already in student’s minds; and by making sure students have truly understood the concepts being taught and can apply them to new situations (Slavin, 2014, p. 145).
 Reflection
The concept of information processing theory means students process information differently to memorize it. We as teachers have so many different types of learners in our classes. When I introduce information to my students I present it orally and then I add visual supplements to go along with the information that I present. I make charts and write items down for students to reference them. Then I reinforce and have the students practice what they have learned through various activities.
I did not know that there were different memory strategies that could be taught. There are verbal learning strategies like paired-associate, serial and free-recall tasks activities that will assist with memorization. Paired-associate learning involves learning to respond with one member of the pair when given the other member, usually from a list of pairs to be memorized (Slavin, 2014, p. 142). Several learning involves learning a list of terms in particular order, while free-recall learning is memorizing a list of words in no particular order.
To become a better teacher, I will use some of the new methods and strategies for memorization that I have read about with my class. I can start students at the kindergarten level to underline key concepts in short passages and organize their thoughts with outlines and concept maps. Students can also summarize their ideas with labels and drawings while they take simple notes. We do use practice tests so students can recall and practice what will be on an actual test. I also give students test to see what skills I may need to review and have students practice on those skills.
Some of the positive aspects of information processing are, it's good to know that there are so many ways and strategies to assistant learning and memorization. Once I introduce the strategies, it may take some time for the students to get used to it, but eventually they will understand the strategies and retain the information I am presenting to them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Behavioral and Social Theories of Learning

Cognitive, Language, and Literacy Development