Grouping and Differentiation

Description
To develop rapport with an at-rick learner with special needs, you must use educational programs that work like compensatory education, early intervention programs and special education.

Analysis
Students who are most likely considered “at-risk” are students who come from impoverished or chaotic homes, those who have marked developmental delays, or those who exhibit aggressive or withdrawn behavior (Slavin, 2014, pg. 226). A plan for developing rapport with an at-risk learner or a learner with special needs starts with knowing and understanding the child or student needs additional support to succeed in school. Before students attend elementary school, students may be placed in early intervention program.

Early Intervention Programs (EIP) are programs that emphasize infant stimulation, parent training and other services for children from birth to age 5 have been found to have long term effects on the school success of students who are at risk (Slavin, 2014, pg. 228). In Georgia, for infants to children through school entry, is a program, Babies Can’t Wait.

Preventative programs where early intervention takes place can help keep students and children falling behind in early grades. Preventive strategies also show that children who are at risk can succeed if we are willing to give them high quality instruction and intensive services early in their school careers (Slavin, 2014, pg. 228). It also ensures that children who do need services are identified early so they can receive services before students are assigned to special education.

After students are identified as needing additional support, students can attend compensatory educational programs. Compensatory educational supplements the education of students from disadvantaged backgrounds who are experiencing trouble in school or who are thought to be in danger of having school problems (Slavin, 2014, pg. 227).

Students in preschool attend Head Start. Students who attend elementary school use Title I. It is a program that assists classroom teachers and provides money for extra services for students who are at risk having academic trouble in school. The funds from Title I must be used to supplement the local efforts of education. Title I teachers provide help in reading, mathematics or both subjects for students who are referred by their regular teachers to receive remedial help to students. Title I services give students more instructional time for at risk students. Students spend more time on task with a teacher giving them extra support. Schools that closely integrated remedial or instructional Title 1 services with the school’s maintenance structural program, and especially schools that use Title I dollars to enhance education for all students in school wide projects, obtain the best outcomes (Slavin, 2014 pg. 227).

Reflection
In my class, during reading and math groups, students are grouped to their ability to accommodate their achievement differences. I group student's homogeneously. The students in each group are on the same ability level or close to their group members ability. Student grouping is significant in my classroom because I use small groups every day during instruction. Using within-class-ability grouping is recommended by my principal for the primary grades at my school for math and reading.

I did not know in between-class-ability tracking in the upper grades may be harmful to students. It may be harmful to lower achieving students because it exposes them to few role models while high track classes/students may have each other for role models. The high track students have higher standardized test scores and perform better in particular classes. In the low achieving classes, they do not have students who are much higher academically to catch up to and “compete against”.

A positive aspect of grouping students with in class ability in my class is I know students learn at different paces. This allows me to teach each group differently the skills that I know they need to master. I change student groups every 9 weeks. I assess them on multiple standards and see what I may need to continue to work on and what skills they have mastered.

Based on the learned information, when I group my students, they should be in small groups. I have an average of 20 students. I usually have five groups with four students in each group. If my class size increases, I have a group or groups with five students in them. I do not try to meet with each group each day due to time, but I will and my paraprofessional will check on the groups to see if they are on track doing their small group activities based on the standards being taught.


References
Slavin, R. E. (2014). Educational psychology: Theory and practice (11th ed.). Boston, MA: Pearson Education.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Behavioral and Social Theories of Learning

Information Processing Theory

Cognitive, Language, and Literacy Development